Please notify the Village Office immediately if any information on this notice is incorrect.
Methods of Payment:
- In person at the Village Office, during office hours, by cash or cheque (debit/credit card payments are not accepted).
- By mail (please make your cheque payable to the Village of Girouxville) and enclose the bottom portion of the notice.
- By telephone or internet banking through your financial institution (your roll number is your account number). Please check to see if the Village of Girouxville is listed as a valid payee with your financial institution.
Receipt for Taxes Paid:
- To obtain a copy of your property tax payment receipt, call the Village Office at 780-323-4270.
Due date for tax payment is August 31st of the current year
- A tax payment that is sent by mail is deemed to have been received according to the Canada Post date stamped on the envelope.
- A tax payment that is made through a financial institution is deemed to have been received on the date stamped by the institution.
- Current taxes in arrears after August 31st of the current year will be subject to a late payment penalty of 18% on the current taxes.
- An additional penalty of 18% will be applied to all taxes in arrears after December 31st of the current year.
- Taxes levied are deemed to have been imposed for the period of January 1 to December 31 of that year.
- Where taxes are paid by a mortgage company, the owner is responsible to ensure that the taxes are paid on time.
- An assessment complaint does not exempt you from paying taxes on time or from late payment penalties. If a complaint is successful, the adjustment will be applied to the tax roll and a refund will be issued.
Access to Assessment Information
An assessed person is entitled to see or receive sufficient information about the person’s property assessment, as well as a summary of assessment information on other assessed properties for comparison purposes. This information is available from the Village Office. It can also be viewed by going to the following link:
If you have any questions or concerns about your property assessment, please contact our assessor:
Compass Assessment Consultants Inc.
#201, 10559 – 172 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5S 1P1
If after having discussed your assessment details with the assessor, you are still of the opinion that your assessment is incorrect, you may submit using the Government of Alberta Assessment Review Board Complaint form on or before August 7, 2020, or as otherwise provided for by Regulation or Ministerial Order, to be valid.
An Assessment Review Board Complaint form may be obtained from the Village Office or online at: http://www.municipalaffairs.alberta.ca/documents/as/LGS1402.pdf and submit the completed form to the Clerk of the Assessment Review Board: PO Box 276 Girouxville, Alberta T0H 1SO, along with a cheque of $50.00 payable to the Village of Girouxville.
Designated Industrial Assessment
An Assessment Review Board has no jurisdiction to deal with complaints about assessment for designated industrial property. The Municipal Government Board has jurisdiction to hear complaints about assessment for designated industrial properties.
2020 Non-Residential Education Property Tax
The Government of Alberta is doing everything it can to support businesses through the COVID-19 pandemic. On March 23, 2020, the government announced property tax changes to assist businesses and keep the economy running.
To help businesses remain solvent, the government is deferring six month’s worth of education property tax for all non-residential properties in Alberta. Businesses will see their 2020 education property tax amount deferred this year. Education property tax amounts will not begin to be collected until October 2020.
If you are able to pay your property taxes now, we encourage you to do so. Property owners are strongly encouraged to immediately pass on the benefits of any tax deferrals to their business tenants.
While deferred taxes are still due in 2020, the municipality may implement a flexible payment plan for non-residential property owners unable to pay fully in 2020.
For further information about your municipality’s specific approach, please contact your municipal administration at 780-323-4270.